Weather Plugin (WIP) Pt.2

All your questions about LcdStudio 2.0 Plugins

Moderator: LcdStudio2 Experts

Postby UNOPARATOR » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:43 am

spineman wrote:Right click only saves 1 of the 49 single pictures

I never used Weather plugin BUT I guess that .gif file should be an animated gif file (multi frame) (yet I may be wrong... 8) )
UNOPARATOR
Homo Moderatus

Postby blap_psx » Mon May 05, 2008 2:03 pm

Yes, it's a nimated gif, with 49 images in one file ...

You don't see the amimation ? try to find why you computer doesn't play gif before.

Regards,

Blap
blap_psx

Source Code

Postby Abnormal1 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi Everybody,

After getting an Email from Weather.com informing me that they are going to start enforcing their XML Feed terms of agreement, I decided that since my Plugin does not appear to comply that I would post the source code so that someone else can either alter it to comply or take the risk if it doesn't.

First, here is the Email which I was sent that contains the terms of agreement and SDK etc.
[quote]
We are contacting you because you are a registrant for the weather.com XML Data Feed (the
Abnormal1

Postby Dexboy » Mon May 05, 2008 7:03 pm

OR PRIVATE INFORMATION DISPLAY UNIT

Sooooo that means.. that we can't use it on our displays?

identify that the weather data comes from TWCi by incorporating The Weather Channel logo containing an embedded link to the www.weather.com home page (one of 5 Required Links);
provide four (4) promotional links, selected by TWCi and provided through the Service on each data call, back to www.weather.com for additional weather information in close proximity

How are we supposed to do that? We can't click on our LCDs now, can we? This kinda sux (sorry for the term used but.. it's how it is)
I'm a bomb technician, if you see me running try to keep up ;)
Dexboy

Postby blap_psx » Tue May 06, 2008 8:08 am

Abnormal1, i can't download via badongo, can you send me your source code to my mail ?

blap dot psx at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance ... ( i've also received this mail and it's a really bad news )

Regards

edit:

This is a free public mirror for the source code : ( no pub, no waiting time )

http://blapounet.info/weather/Weather%20Source.zip
You can also find the latest compilated one :
http://blapounet.info/weather/Weather_093.zip

Regards,

Blap
blap_psx

Postby Abnormal1 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:56 am

@Dexboy
This is why I've posted the source code as it could be complicated to follow their rules and I just don't have the time or Interest to deal with this.

The biggest problem that I believe will occur is they will re-introduce their security system for the XML feed.
When I started on this plugin I read that each program required a access code to receive the feed however while waiting ages for any information (including the code) from Weather.com.
Anyway I realised that you did not need this security code and got fed up waiting for any communication so Ignored it.

I think it may be better if an alternative to Weather.com was found.

@blap_psx
I take it that you registered with them aswell then.

Abnormal1
Abnormal1

Postby blap_psx » Tue May 06, 2008 1:12 pm

i've allready make a soft witch grab weather from weather channel, with a autorisation code ( it's really simple to get one )

I've read all of the SDK file, and i think there's no problem with your applet exept the XML url that you are grabing ( you only need to register ) - but my english isn't verry good to understand all of the long pdf file ^^

You can also had an icon and link to weather channel in the LCDstudio config menu, to respect TWCi need's (link and icon what else ?).

Well, if i've time to do i'll try to modify your applet, but i need VB2005 and i haven't for the moment ( i also need time, and with 24hrs in day, it's difficult ! i'm waiting for 36hrs by day ^^ )

Regards,

Blap
blap_psx

Postby Dexboy » Tue May 06, 2008 3:43 pm

I'm not sure what's the difference between Yahoo Weather and Weather.com but.. I know I used Yahoo weather on a program for G15 (Lcd Miscellany developed by Dwarg over at G15forums if anyone's interested)
but since the application crashed too often for me (it would work fine if I restarted my PC daily but at the moment my PC is running straight for 5 days now) stopped using it (it "ate" half of my CPU's power (1st core was running at 100%).. Maybe you can ask him?

Ermm yeah.. While writing this post, I jumped over to yahoo weather.. And it's powered by weather.com ^_^;
But it still may work, I think? You don't even need to register but there are no weather forecasts :(
I'm a bomb technician, if you see me running try to keep up ;)
Dexboy

Postby Max3D » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:16 pm

looks like i've some problem with this plugins
i've changed the settings but the weather still loading Chicago...

i've made a new design and edited the settings.xml by hand.. but still continue to load Chicago O_o
Max3D

Postby robomaeyhem » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:17 pm

wunderground.com has free XML feeds, you should check that out
robomaeyhem

Postby zyberg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:41 pm

Seems that the Weather channel 0.93 plugin is not working anymore.
someone has the same problem ?
zyberg

Postby T.Lancer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:13 pm

yes same here

I think we need an updated version
T.Lancer

Postby zyberg » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:52 pm

You're right except that i'm fed up to wait.
Therefore i've updated the weather plugin in order to comply to Weather.com XML feed rules.
It works again on my computer.

The new DLL is available there for at least 30 days:
http://dl.free.fr/trloM44Fu
zyberg

Postby T.Lancer » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 pm

sweet, thanks :)
T.Lancer

Postby cdeez » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 pm

ok so iv downloaded the gif with the 49 images on it , im not sure where the custom code is so it can changes the picture pertaining to what the weather is, or how to do it, can someone please help.

Iv looked at both threads with no luck !

thanks !

If someone can explain step by step how it works that would be awesome, im a quick learner
cdeez

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins