Plugin Idea

All your questions about LcdStudio 2.0 Plugins

Moderator: LcdStudio2 Experts

Plugin Idea

Postby Max3D » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:10 am

by watching the new Win8 Copy/Move/Delete interface, I've got an idea, but it will require some skilled developers :D

Can create a plugin that intercept datas from Windows so we can summon a new design or just "pop" a plugin very similar to the one on the screenshot
which say "what copy/move/delete to", "time left" and with a cool graphic which show the speed :)
Max3D

Win8

Postby spock » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:39 pm

You're jumping the gun again, mate... :D
Anyway, it's not a bad idea, all in all, but it will all greatly depend on what Microsoft chooses to expose in some kind of API. From what I've seen, MS is rather secretive about new shit like that, but you never know. In any case, we have to wait until at least some sort of beta is out.
Cheers!
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Postby Max3D » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:57 pm

well, and with the info we have at the moment ?... with the current stable and classic windows ? :wink:
Max3D

Win8

Postby spock » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Hey, if you show me any piece of literature about the subject, I'll be convinced. I haven't seen any so far, but on the other hand, I haven't looked either. I'm not a Windows programmer.
However, common sense shows that the "current stable" is something like an alpha version, a lot of things can change until betas start coming out, and even then things can change until it goes "gold".
Also, that feature does not exist in current Windows and I haven't seen anyone make a plug-in (or application) for file transfers. I don't think there's any kind of API support, so... my guess is, someone would have to literally write a shitload of code to hook to the filesystem and monitor file copies or moves. In my book, that's an overkill. Too much trouble just for eye-candy.
Trying to write code for something in the early stages of development, on the other hand, is like planning a dinner menu without knowing what ingredients you have in the fridge. All in all, mate, I'd say "don't lose your cool". Windows 8 is a long way away. I suppose the Win8 first beta will be released around mid-January, and if all goes well, the RTM will be out around June. Again, from what I hear, the official launch will be in August. However, since you'd have to be insane to launch a product mid-summer, I think a delay of a month is more probable. So, we may still see the first beta in January, but I seriously doubt we'll see the RTM earlier than July. That's quite a long way, man. Besides, seeing Win8 I can't really see much point in going for an upgrade. The only thing I can see being worth it is the next-gen scheduler in the kernel. Everything else is just bling (and more of those fracking ribbons).
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Postby Max3D » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:26 pm

indeed the subject was't win8.... I was talking about WinXP / Win Vista / WIn7 :)
which i suppese to be stable ... more or less xD

what I guess, was, more or less a plugin which rise an event to show on LCD the stats about the coping action...
obviously if there aren't any API on MSDN on the GUI which windows show during the copy, I can guess also, which is impossible to do :?

I just wish to optimize the use of LCD Studio, show the netstat when all datas are = 0 is useless :P
also i still missing a button function to summon designs, giust to have 2 buttons to next prev would be cool :(
Max3D

Postby Mostly Harmless » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:01 pm

there's a windows 8 developers' edition already out, i saw it on my colleague's notebook... (i didn't like it tough)
Mostly Harmless

Return to Plugins