AIDA64 / Everest Plugin (GPU, CPU, Mobo sensors) 03/01/2012

All your questions about LcdStudio 2.0 Plugins

Moderator: LcdStudio2 Experts

Ahodgey

AIDA64 / Everest Plugin (GPU, CPU, Mobo sensors) 03/01/2012

Postby Ahodgey » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:48 pm

######Updated 03/01/12#######
Changed my hosting and think I have sorted all the links out.

######Updated 09/11/10#######

Updated the source code (VS2005) and the test harness (wrapper) to support the move over from Everest (www.lavalys.com) to Aida64 (www.aida64.com).

Still produces the same wide array of sensor data as previously. Now retrieving data for my Asus P5Q deluxe and ATI 5750.

ImageImage

Update isn't massively different from the post by manus but just used this as an excuse to get my development virtual machine up and running and do some coding. Did notice that the megaupload wasn't always available and these are hosted on my office 365 webspace that should always be up.

Noticed that a couple of sensors are being retrieved as Other but think this is more to do with the new motherboard rather than Aida64.

Plugin http://www.ahah.org.uk/downloads/Aida64 ... Plugin.zip
Source http://www.ahah.org.uk/downloads/Aida64 ... ceCode.zip

#########################

Hi all,

After searching the Net for an application which could read my Dell XPS 710 nvidia 590 motherboard and 8800GTX sensors I came across Everest (http://www.lavalys.com). I posted on there forums and they quickly (within a day) added the functionality to the software to read the sensor values for my mobo. Everest have just released version 4.00 (previously Beta 3.80). Everest captures for me the following sensor values

but can capture a lot of other values all dependant on motherboard (see this thread on there forums http://www.lavalys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1637).

Everest exposes its sensor data to external applications via a number of method and I have created a LCDStudio 2.1 plugin (VS2005 C#) for Everest when using WMI as the external application. It will automatically loop through all objects and add them to LCDStudio under an Everest node.

Just a mention that unlike speedfan, MBM - Everest is not free and should be purchased but you can trial it - This has the effect of randomly changing some sensor value readings to the word trial.

######Updated 27/04/07#######

Hi all,

I have updated the code to handle to the possibility of LCDStudio starting before Everest starts. This prevents the plugin throwing an exception and LCDStudio unloading the plugin at start up.

What I have done is added some code which adds a Status node in the Everest branch. If everest WMI is not running then you will get a single node called WMIStatus with a value of "Everest WMI not Detected". If it is detected then you get the same node with the value "Everest WMI Detected" as a value + all the nodes it can read from WMI. This should also help in debugging any issues.

The updated source is here and replaces the old ones.

Plugin http://www.ahah.org.uk/downloads/Everes ... Plugin.zip
Source http://www.ahah.org.uk/downloads/Everes ... Source.zip

######Update 02/05/07#######

I have created a new plugin which uses the shared memory option from Everest - Not sure if its any more efficient than the WMI one as it has to first convert the string to an stream, load the stream to XML Document in memory so it can be queried and then do some looping to get to the nodes in the right order. This could probably be made more efficient by someone with a better grasp of XPath than me. I have post fixed SM (for shared memory) to all the variables etc so you can run both the WMI and SM plugins at the same time with out LCDStudio erroring (but you probably shouldnt).

######Update 22/05/07#######

Realised I hadnt posted the links to the shared memory versions....

Plugin http://www.ahah.org.uk/downloads/Everes ... Plugin.rar
Source http://www.ahah.org.uk/downloads/Everes ... Source.rar
Last edited by Ahodgey on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:49 am, edited 16 times in total.

coorz
Site Admin

Postby coorz » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Wow that's a lotta info!
On behalf of the LCDStudio crew; a big apprecation for your efforts!

spock
Site Admin

Everest

Postby spock » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:09 pm

Very nice addition indeed.
The only thing that's bothering me is the fact that the software is commercial. Would you believe that the corporate edition is $10 cheaper than the enthusiast edition?
Oh well... I guess there are always [i]alternatives
Live long and prosper...

Ahodgey

Postby Ahodgey » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:15 pm

Most of the info is pretty surplus as some things LCDStudio and other plugins do already. The real thing I wanted was CPU, Mobo and GPU temperatures and fan speeds. The nvidia plugin which has been posted here just didnt cut it (GFX temp only and no fan speeds). I looked into coding my own solution for mobo temps etc but found very little reference on how to do it apart from the nvidia plugin which can read the shared memory of the nvidia control panel app for GFX temp but then came across everest.

The motherboard in the dell xps 710 while being a nvidia 590 mobo has been modified by dell (one of a few btx boards) and as such things like speedfan, mbm, rivatuner wont detect the sensors. The guys over at lavalys (everest) were really helpfull in getting the 710 onto the list of mobos they supported (see this thread were the developers basically added support in 2 days for the mobo http://www.lavalys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2300).

The lavalys guys already had 8800GTX sensors configured and I was quite suprised too by the amount of sensor information this can return (4 different temperatures for the gfx card alone).... So I think the everest product is excellent. It does have some very basic LCD output for g15 keyboards (All text based apart from background) but doesnt really match lcdstudio for graphical display.

Everest does also provide output of its sensor info via the registry and shared memory. The registry option sounded a bit naff to me (i dont think the registry is really designed to be written and read to every 3 seconds). I dont have enough experience with C++ to write a shared memory plugin so went simplest solution and used the WMI as this is pretty inbuilt into Visual Studio. I am going to post a link to this thread on the lavalys forums as well. Just remember everest is not free but in my opinion is well worth the 20 uk pounds for what it does....
Last edited by Ahodgey on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ahodgey

Postby Ahodgey » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:20 pm

Spock,

The corporate edition does not include the sensor probes etc and is used for central asset management so normally it would be bought in bulk ie discounted. And in my opinion 20 uk pounds for a well designed and well supported product is very reasonable. When you look at the design and quality of things like Speedfan and mbm I personally would rather pay. Also As they added support for my motherboard in two days I think they deserve my money :D but thats just my opinion...

Andy

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:23 pm

I Did the code to retrieve data from their shared memory section a long long time ago (just never gotten around to pour it into aplugin), however their shared memory is *CRAZY* they pretty much supply you the data in xml format, but they chop off the root node cause they don't want you loading the data into an xmldom :|

I generally stay away from wmi cause it always feels kinda sluggish

UNOPARATOR
Homo Moderatus

Postby UNOPARATOR » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:27 pm

Ray wrote:...supply you the data in xml format, but they chop off the root node cause they don't want you loading the data into an xmldom...
same thing happened to me with GetRight, at first I manually added the root node myself, then informed Michael (GetRight's Dev) he added that too... I needed a key to registry for GetRight to share its data in XML (the default was INI format) but since like XML better, chose that path...

spock
Site Admin

Money

Postby spock » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:29 pm

Well... I know of lots of pieces of software that would deserve getting the money. For instance, I've been using PaintShop Pro from version 1.3 or something. However, I'd rather stick to freeware or freeware (if there's no alternative), since I'm not going to make any money from using them. If it ever comes to that, I'll seriously consider purchasing.
Under that light, LCDstudio should be commercial as well, since it's both unique and well-designed, and the support is in most cases, awesome. :P
Live long and prosper...

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:46 pm

UNOPARATOR wrote:same thing happened to me with GetRight, at first I manually added the root node myself, then informed Michael (GetRight's Dev) he added that too... I needed a key to registry for GetRight to share its data in XML (the default was INI format) but since like XML better, chose that path...

Gheh i did the same thing contacted the everest guys who told me it was done on purpose so we woudn't load it into an xml dom... like i said.. *crazy* :roll:

UNOPARATOR
Homo Moderatus

Postby UNOPARATOR » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:27 pm

Ray wrote:Gheh i did the same thing contacted the everest guys who told me it was done on purpose so we woudn't load it into an xml dom... like i said.. *crazy* :roll:
Well, gotta love Michael for his sanity and common sense then =)

Ahodgey

Postby Ahodgey » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:40 pm

I have made a minor change to the plugin and updated the source code. I was unaware that one of the fields returned by the everest WMI collection object identified the sensors type. Previously I was substringing the ID value to get the first character.

Freeware vs Commercial is a long debate. Personally I dont mind paying for things when they work are well designed and I get support. A lot of the freeware products I have seen have been utter rubbish in terms of design becuase they were just a quick solution to someones problem and then are not carried on and then there is also no support. There are definetly a few freeware gems out there but there are many more rubbish ones. I would pay for LCDStudio but then I might expect updates on a slightly more regular basis etc, which doesnt seem to be the ethos of the development. Again this really is swings and roundabouts.

Your right the xml output is a bit odd for shared memory and should really be a properly formatted XML document. I will raise this issue with them and see what response I get.

Ray why do you say WMI is sluggish - surely it was designed for this type of updating data (more so than the registry which I really cant fathom as an option for transporting data)....

Spock what do you suggest by alternatives as I mentioned before for me the majority of other alternatives didnt work ie speedfan, mbm, etc..... or are you suggesting warez?

Ray
Site Admin

Postby Ray » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:48 pm

as you figured, the root tag is not there, and won't be there, simply because we do not want any XML processors to load the file, so it doesn't have to be a real XML document.

Thats what they told me back in november, fairly sure they won't (or actually can't cause it will break apps already using it) change their minds on it.

And i see it feels sluggish cause it uhh feels sluggish compared to api calls the usually can provide you with the same information.

spock
Site Admin

Postby spock » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:53 am

Ahodgey wrote:Spock what do you suggest by alternatives as I mentioned before for me the majority of other alternatives didnt work ie speedfan, mbm, etc..... or are you suggesting warez?

...you look like a big boy... I'll let you figure it out! :P
Live long and prosper...

WiGGleZ

Postby WiGGleZ » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:24 am

Now I know this is probably a stupid question but... How coem when I go to load it, the tickbox just becomes greyed out and won't load?

Edit :: Never mind, didn't realise it was turned off in Everest :)
Last edited by WiGGleZ on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ahodgey

Postby Ahodgey » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:25 am

Wigglez,

Are you running the latest version of LCDStudio 2.1 and do you have .net framework 2.0 and updates installed ?

This plugin was written in Visual C# 2005 with SP1 so you have to have the latest lcdstudio and .net framwork

A

Return to “Plugins”