AppMonitor Deluxe

All your questions about LcdStudio 2.0 Plugins

Moderator: LcdStudio2 Experts

Postby DanWithATwist » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:27 am

I'm not sure if it registers the changes when I edit the first post... but as (semi) promised. Updated! See first post for details.
DanWithATwist

Postby Kokarn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Nice! real impressive actually :D and, as a bonus, i have some id
Kokarn

Postby DanWithATwist » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:11 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words!

This might be a nice feature... but I think it will cause LCDStudio to use quite a bit of resources itself. In order to find the most expensive process I'd have to query every process and sort (descending order)... every second. I guess even Task Manager does this. I'll try it and let you know what happens.
Secondly, a built-in kill would seem to suggest you're using a G15. :-) I also use one, but this would be a bit useless to most users who aren't using one. I could just make it a hot key you can set in the options. Ooo! That would give me a reason to make an options screen!
DanWithATwist

AppMonDlx

Postby spock » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:27 pm

...acronym: AMD :P
Anyhow, I guess the possibilities are limitless. However, I'd suggest you don't turn this plug-in into an LCD-based Task Manager. Displaying information would be welcome, like selecting a process and displaying CPU usage or memory utilisation, but that's as far as I would take it.
Notice that Task Manager consumes quite some resources itself, too.
And you're quite right about G15 and the rest of us. Really, we don't want to turn our LCDs into tiny menu-displaying units...
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Postby Kokarn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:12 pm

Still, i think if not to hard on cpu, it would be a nice option.
And about not including stuff, I mean, it isn't like you have to use very feature *cough*spock*cough* right?
Kokarn

Choke

Postby spock » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:29 pm

No, I don't have to use every feature, but it might make an interesting plug-in too resource-heavy to use.
If Dan should want to make a separate full-blown Task Manager plug-in, he can be my guest. As long as he makes sure not to overload the basic AppMonitorDlx with such a functionality.
Other than that, any new plug-in is welcome.
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Postby UNOPARATOR » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:57 pm

I think he could just add some "CheckBox"es to the property page he were thinking about, so that if someone doesn't want the heavy stuff the plugin won't neither calculate them nor expose them to LcdStudio ;)

I hope I were clear (I'm sleepy, the English-able part of my brain may not be functioning properly) :P
UNOPARATOR
Homo Moderatus

Plug

Postby spock » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:11 am

Wouldn't it be just simpler to make two plug-ins? That way, the heavy version one wouldn't even be loaded by LCDstudio. That way we could even have a smaller memory footprint for people that wouldn't need it.
Oh, and don't worry about your English. We got the message!
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Postby UNOPARATOR » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:24 am

UNOPARATOR wrote:..the plugin won't neither calculate them nor expose them to LcdStudio...
means that those variables would just be ignored by an IF statement (probably) which would only result in a larger DLL not the memory footprint when not actived. (At least I know so, if not my apologies) This way it would be much easier to update the core stuff (updating one class library instead of two).
UNOPARATOR
Homo Moderatus

Postby Kokarn » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:35 am

my vote goes for UNA's idea :P
Kokarn

Vote

Postby spock » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:37 am

I'm seriously tempted to press that "edit" button over your post... :twisted:
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Postby Kokarn » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:46 am

the power of admining. But i actually do agree a little with you aswell spock. If the checkboxes doesnt make the plugin skip the whole deal, if you know what i mean, i think you should make another separate task manager plugin.
Kokarn

Sense

Postby spock » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:06 pm

I knew we could reach an agreement with some logical arguments... :P
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Postby DanWithATwist » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:28 pm

Children! hehe
Well, I have to say that while those are good arguments, I do still agree with spock. I would rather make a separate plugin that would function as a task manager type program. The original intention of this plugin was only to give the current process name so that I could add screen to the playlist depending on which program was currently in the foreground. It's gone a little beyond that, but I don't want to lose sight of the original intention.
Anyway, it's the day after Thanksgiving here and I've got pretty much nothing to do today. So after I play World Of Warcraft (how I wish it wasn't against the EULA to make a plugin for that game...) for awhile, I'll see where I can get with the task managing idea ;-)
DanWithATwist

Postby Kokarn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:14 pm

Oh! gotta love ya for that. Well, my original statement that it would be in just one plugin was mostly based on the fact that i thought you would rather have it that way, since it seems to me that it is much more work to do two plugins than one. But if you have the time, why not? :D i can sureley come upp with another dozen or so things you can do plugins for, if you have the time :)
Kokarn

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins