AppMonitor Deluxe

All your questions about LcdStudio 2.0 Plugins

Moderator: LcdStudio2 Experts

AppMonitor Deluxe

Postby DanWithATwist » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:09 pm

The application monitor with LCDStudio is great... but I wanted something that would tell me what program is actually in focus. This, of course, can be used in many different ways. I'm using it to display the icon of x program. (via a custom variable, of course) I also used it to display a different screen when x program goes into focus. If you have any other suggestions on things to add, let me know.

I could have done this little plugin for nothing... but I didn't see anyway to do this in LCDStudio. If I'm missing something, any moderator, send me a message just saying there is and delete this thread. Thanks!

New in v0.2
- Changed the name
- Added Caption. Returns String of Window Caption.
- Added CPU Usage. Returns Float of % CPU Usage.
- Added Memory Usage. Returns Int32 of Memory usage in bytes.

Download - Updated link for version 0.2.
-UPDATED download link... this one should exist for a very long time.
Last edited by DanWithATwist on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DanWithATwist

Postby coorz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:14 pm

Hey Dan, thanks for writing the plugin, we welcome all 3rd party plugins even if it's already done before.
So keep up the good work and i'll check out your plugin soon.
So you gonna name it InFocus plugin, might be too obscure name, something like;
better appmonitor
appmonitor deluxe
coorz
Site Admin

Postby DanWithATwist » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:24 pm

Well considering it tells you what program's window is in focus, I thought it an apt name. :) But I'm always open to suggestions. I don't like Better Appmonitor because that implies there was something wrong with Appmonitor! :wink: Appmonitor Deluxe isn't a bad idea though. Thanks for the reply coorz!
DanWithATwist

MonDlx

Postby spock » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Very nice plug-in mate! I like the concept of that, actually.
In fact, this could be used to trigger events, and the LCD change design according to the application that has the focus! Nice, nice, nice!
My five cents: AppInFocus GTi
Keep up the good work, man!
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Postby Kokarn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:29 pm

so, how do i use this more exactly? If i want to use this instead of app monitor, i would go with code like:

Code: Select all
if ((String)GetData("InFocus.Focus") == "*prog name*")
  return 1;
else
  return 0;

And *prog name* is what? The name of the program or the process name?
Can't really figure this one out, since when i have Winamp on top it gives me "winamp", witch is the prog title bar name, but when i have LCDStudio on top, it gives me "LCDStudio" witch is not the tile bar name. Does it return the process name witbout .exe on the end maybe?

Otherwize, GREAT!!! plugin. It's very welcome, since it will fix numerous bugs with my current playlist. Thanks!
Last edited by Kokarn on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kokarn

Postby coorz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:38 pm

It's the executables name, same as the process name.
Great little plugin Dan, this is surely appmonitor deluxe :wink:
coorz
Site Admin

Postby Kokarn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:06 pm

yeah, figured that out now. The name's supposed to be the process name without .exe :P
Working Great! thanks again :)
Kokarn

Postby DanWithATwist » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:14 pm

Hey, I'm glad at least some people like it!
In regards to Kokarn's questions that was already answered... I was actually thinking about extending this to return the application's window caption as well. If that's something people want... cause all I needed was what I did. Anything else you guys might want from the application in the foreground, let me know and I'll try to do it.
DanWithATwist

Postby coorz » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:49 pm

Well i dunno what info you can pull more, but something like the foreground apps' CPU usage? I think whatever info you can pull would benefit someone needs always.
coorz
Site Admin

Postby Kokarn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:58 pm

the more, the merrier. Maybe more specialized in working as a appmonitor deluxe? Some way for it to create it's own custom variables easy would be cool :P So you don't have to write them all if you're going to use it as a appmonitor.

Dunno what else right now... But i think i'll be back :D
Kokarn

Vars

Postby spock » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:22 pm

Kokarn wrote:Some way for it to create it's own custom variables easy would be cool

Say what? :shock:
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Postby Kokarn » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:16 pm

Ok, that was kinda not-helping. The thing i ment was a that you should just enter the program name and it should create the needed variable itself. I know it's easy to do on your own, but it would be a cool function.
Kokarn

Postby linj » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:25 pm

Is there a way for the plugin to show the exact window name? It'd be mighty useful to have the monitor off and be able to know what window you're on. For example, for sneaky MSN conversations... :D
linj

Postby DanWithATwist » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:08 pm

Yeah, that's totally possible and will be in the next version. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with the "when it's ready" cliche for release date... but I'm hoping the next few days since I'm taking vacation for the Thanksgiving week.
Side-note: So far, I've liked AppMonitor Deluxe for a new name. If there aren't any major objections... I'd like to call it that.
DanWithATwist

Name

Postby spock » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:15 pm

Sure, go right ahead and call it anything you like...
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Next

Return to Plugins