How to start creating plugins?

All your questions about LcdStudio 2.0 Plugins

Moderator: LcdStudio2 Experts

How to start creating plugins?

Postby parasite64 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:11 am

Hey there! Just got my G13 today, and I've been looking all over the web for how to create applets for it! The SDK that came with it, is useless unless I purchase Visual Studio (mainly Visual C++) and the Express Editions didn't work for me.

Anyways, I'm here now and I'm really loving LCDStudio! :) to Kudos to the creators!

I'm just a little bit confused on how to extended it beyond the inbuilt objects; mainly, how do you script? I've seen people sharing scripts on the forum, and frankly, I have no idea how to put them into LCDStudio! Do I have to get something like Visual Studio, to compile the scripts or something? Or is there something within the program that I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks alot!
parasite64

Postby tik » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:52 am

I'm of no help with the programming part, but you can get Visual Studio for free from MS if you're a student. https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx
tik

Postby parasite64 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:11 am

I'd rather stick with LCDStudio, as I'm no longer a student (yay!) so I couldn't get it for free! :(
parasite64

Postby UNOPARATOR » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Right clicking on the DataItem View would show a context menu from which you can create a new custom variable.
Custom variables uses the same syntax with C#.

After creating a custom variable, in order to save it in LcdStudio, you need to exit from LcdStudio properly which means exiting LcdStudio (even from the traybar if it also runs there)...

But custom variables usually is just for formatting available data in other way. If you need to show data from a program, you'll need to create a LcdStudio DataItem Plugin, which you can do with Visual Studio Express Editions...
UNOPARATOR
Homo Moderatus

Postby parasite64 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:53 pm

UNOPARATOR wrote:Right clicking on the DataItem View would show a context menu from which you can create a new custom variable.
Custom variables uses the same syntax with C#.

After creating a custom variable, in order to save it in LcdStudio, you need to exit from LcdStudio properly which means exiting LcdStudio (even from the traybar if it also runs there)...

Oh fantastic! I kept on wondering where the hell the scripting came in, and I eventually found it out! I tried to go to the quickstart guide in the Help menu, but it just gave me a webpage saying the item ID was invalid :S

UNOPARATOR wrote:But custom variables usually is just for formatting available data in other way. If you need to show data from a program, you'll need to create a LcdStudio DataItem Plugin, which you can do with Visual Studio Express Editions...

Okay, how can I do that? I've got Visual C++ EE if that helps, or would I need something else?
parasite64

SDK

Postby spock » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:01 am

Notice another room in this forum, titled "SDK"?
Live long and prosper...
spock
Site Admin

Re: SDK

Postby parasite64 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:04 am

spock wrote:Notice another room in this forum, titled "SDK"?

Sorry about that; I was curious about plugins and so this seemed the most appropriate section;
parasite64

Return to Plugins